Monday 16 February 2015

A thing of the past




                      


 

I found this image on a google and I instantly thought of Mary, because one day she will be able to make this statement and MS for Mary will be a thing of the past.  I asked her the other day what was she most looking forward to when she got home from Russia and  recovered from her treatment.  The thing that resonated with me most was  that she really wanted to wear a pair of thongs and walk in them without falling over.  Its the little things that we well folk take for granted like walking in thongs that mean the most to her and I understand that. I don't even think about it when I throw on a pair and wander down the street but for her its not even an option.   I plan on buying a very fancy pair for her when she gets back.


Mary has quite the journey in front of her with this HSCT treatment and her trip to Russia.  I certainly don't envy the path she is about to travel but once she gets to the end of that path it will have been a journey well worth the effort and I am so proud of her, she is such a brave woman who I respect and admire so much.   I think the thing that would make me the most nervous if it was me, would be traveling on my own and being in a foreign country for three months without family or friends.  Mary's body will be stripped of all its immunity and will be in a very vulnerable position.  She cannot afford to get sick and so they will put her in an isolation ward where she will have very little contact with anyone.  Once she comes home to Australia she will still have months of rehabilitation to undertake and numerous visits to her Neurologist in Adelaide before she can say she has recuperated and what will that recuperation be? How good are the results of the HSCT treatment going to be for Mary?  Who knows!  That my friends is the million dollar question.  We can only hope that when she does come home and after months of recovery she will be able to walk in thongs, she will be able to go out dancing, she will be able to walk on the beach, she will be able to pick up her daughter without the fear that she is going to fall down.

Multiple Sclerosis sucks and I don't even have it! 

I found out today of some other famous Aussies who have and are suffering from MS.  Did you know that Tim Ferguson from the Doug Anthony All Stars has MS?  No me either.  This is his book that he wrote a couple of years ago.  I haven't read  it but he is  a very funny man.
You can do stand-up comedy or you can do sit-down comedy.
Tim Ferguson, on performing with Multiple Sclerosis.[5]


Another surprise which, I'm sure many of you know already but I didn't so I'll share.  Chrissy Amphlet (RIP) frontwoman of the Australian rock band Divinyls.Chrissy died in 2013 after a long battle with breast cancer and multiple sclerosis.[4]

 "You spend a lot time in cold machines... hospital beds, on your knees praying for miracles, operating rooms, tests 
after tests, looking at healthy people skip down the street like you once did and you took it all for granted and now wish you could do that.
                                                                                             Chrissy Amphlett 

                                                                                           



If you have more questions or know of any one who needs more information on MS click on this link to MS Australia its got loads of great info there.


Cheers xx

No comments:

Post a Comment